Thursday, January 29, 2009

Random thoughts on teaching

I remember sitting all of my stuffed animals and dolls in a line and pretending to teach them. All that I have ever considered doing is teaching.

I feel that I have many of the qualities my "better" teachers once had. I try to be honest and fair in all that I do and I show the students respect, because I expect them to treat me the way I treat them. Also, I am creative and try to teach the kids not only the content, but real life lessons along the way.

Did my teachers actually deal with all of this stress I am now encountering? Or has all of this stress just surfaced over the past ten or so years? Many of the older teachers I visit with say that it has changed so much and you can't just do your job anymore. This is very true.

Maybe I was brought up in a sheltered home. I can't seem to relate to the kids in my class and how their parents are raising them. America has changed so much and I fear that even Brody will be going to school with children whose parents don't teach them values and self-respect. Don't get me wrong...there are many well behaved kids in my classes, but we are doing all of them an injustice by having to cater to their every need. Where has responsibility gone? Kids have no organizational skills and I am finding that most 7th graders can't even spell basic words, like "where" or "was," much less use puncuation. Some of them don't know what a noun is.

Yes, I am venting. But how are these kids going to excel if we are failing them starting in kindergarten? Is it the teachers fault or the childs lack of effort? I never would have thought that I would be so negative about the profession I am in, but it is not just me. America already has a shortage of teachers and they are running off most of the good teachers and having to settle for those who aren't qualified.

My profession is not bringing me joy. I feel that over the past five years I have become more pessimistic about life in general and I suppose it is because I have seen how the "real world" really is. Lots of parents don't teach their children anything at home and its really difficult when we are responsible for teaching them what they need to learn, plus how to behave and how to be responsible.

I get so discouraged because I feel that I give, give, give and reap no benefits. I am thankful that I have such good parents and I appreciate the fact that we didn't have a cordless phone, tvs in our rooms, or mtv. When I tell kids this they can't fathom it. I know I wasn't a perfect child, but many times I was put down for trying to be perfect. After awhile my friends just accepted it and didn't pressure me anymore. I don't remember my parents ever really setting me down and telling me what they expected...I just kind of knew. Going to Bible class is another way you just absorb the right way to be and act. Too many kids just don't have any self-respect and do not know how to be strong and stand behind what theybelieve in. I guess that is the problem-they don't know what they believe in. And its okay. They are okay with working in the oil field or Wal-Mart and have no aspirations. I fear America is in trouble when this generation grows up.

For those of you that teach your children, you should be commended. For the household with a mother, father, and children is almost extinct. Our american lifestyle has made it okay to do whatever we want. You can't even watch shows on NBC anymore, because they are cussing or have nudity, or even homosexuality. So in a nutshell, I think it is the american lifestyle that is sending our kids in a downward spiral and I don't know how much longer I can deal with it as a teacher. If I change professions, I realize that job will have its own problems, but at least I won't have the insight into how this world really is.

For those who may read this who are liberal, I am sorry if you get offended. You never know who will pull up your blog on the internet. But I was raised with morals and believe in God, and I do honestly feel we are doing our kids an injustice by the way we are raising them. For they will be adults soon, doing our taxes, our hair, and becoming our scientists and presidents. I hope they can do math, measure the right amount of bleach, know how many legs a frog has, and actually have some problem solving skills. I don't know how education is across america, but I know that Texas has some issues.

Man, that was a good essay. :)

3 comments:

Pat and Laura Potter said...

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!! I am constantly facing these same issues at Mac's school and Lilly's preschool. There are 27 students in Mac's class and 5 of them have major behavioral issues. Mac's teacher and any other adult that volunteers in her class (me)have to spend more time keeping them under control than teaching. They are disrespectful to all, including themselves and very disruptive. It definitely takes learning time away from the entire class- there seems to be no clear answer or solution to get the situation under control. The parents are made aware of what is happening, but they choose to not be involved or turn the other way...OR WHATEVER...they just suck as parents and expect the teachers to raise their kids. It is not suppose to be that way...school is for learning, not discipline. I am lucky that I can be at Mac's school almost daily to keep track of what is going on...I feel like I NEED to be there to make sure that he is getting a good education. I hate saying that out loud, but it's the truth. Pat and I always talk with Mac about how other kids are behaving and how school is going. We are lucky that he can mostly ignore the disruptive behavior by kids in his class and focus on learning. We just focus on keeping our faith, love, family and morals strong and alive! Kids, adults, families, Christians...we all face a lot of pressure and issues now days-

Pat and Laura Potter said...

Oh, also...Linsey-
I can hardly read your font/text because the color of it does not show up very well on my monitor. I am not sure if it is just mine or if others are having trouble too???

Pat and Laura Potter said...

Hi again,
If you go to my blog, click on Momma B's link. She has been a teacher for 20 plus years and she wrote some thoughts that I think will help you. She truly is an amazing teacher. Mac had her for kindergarten and we became VERY CLOSE friends! That's why I call her Momma B! Anyhow, she wanted to leave you some comments, but was afraid that you might not want a stranger posting on your blog. I told her it would be fine, but she chose to just post on her own blog instead. Maybe you'll find some useful advice-